Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Great value Unlimited Broadband from an award winning provider  

Funding Brought Free Activities To Wick Children

1st September 2022

Photograph of Funding Brought Free Activities To Wick Children

Funding received by High Life Highland's Active Schools programme in Wick meant that around 550 young people participated in sports and activities sessions before returning to school.

The funding of £1,200 from SSEN Transition/BAM enable all the children to take part in the sessions completely free of charge.

Bigger Photo HERE

Andrew Henderson, SSEN Transmission Construction Manager, said:  "We're delighted that the donation from ourselves and BAM has helped support so many young people to get involved in such a wide and varied programme of activities this year. As guests in the area it's really important to us that we support the communities in which we are working, and we're so pleased that we've been able to get involved and support such a brilliant initiative."

Gary McDonald, High Life Highland’s Active Schools Coordinator in Wick said "The Wick HLH ‘School’s Out’ programme for 2022 has been a great success with so many young people attending all the activities.

"There were so many young and talented participants learning, competing, interacting and making friends along the way. Without the support of SSEN Transmission/BAM making their kind donation to HLH the sessions would definitely not have been as well attended.

"I was so proud of the HLH young leaders and coaches I have worked with throughout the programme. It is amazing to see these young adults reach their full potential, as they have flourished, developed, matured and enhanced their skills along the way.

"It is also great to see so many volunteers looking to help the community and get involved. This is what HLH’s Active Schools programme is all about - so I am delighted the people in Wick have supported the initiative.

Jeni Herbert, Acting Head of Sport with the Highland charity recognised the work of one particular volunteer saying, “Molly Miller from Bilbster was awarded the Wick Active School’s Volunteer of the Year. Like so many before her, Mollie had exceptional leadership skills, and ability to adapt, a great knowledge of coaching and a great rapport with young people.