Ackergill Tower Opened Again After £1 million Refurbishment
27th May 2014
Ackergill Tower is a fifteenth century Caithness castle that has been for a few years the only five-star hotel in Caithness.
It has reopened after a £1 million refurbishment following a fire earlier in 2014 which police said they were treating as suspicious.
Ackergill Tower closed after a blaze caused severe smoke damage throughout the castle in January 2014.
The blaze started in the cellar, which was destroyed, and police still treating the cause of the outbreak as suspicious.
The castle has been fully refurbished, and has 35 bedroom suites, four self-catering cottages and the largest treehouse in Europe, set in 3000 acres of nice grounds situated at Sinclairs Bay near Wick, Caithness..
Founder of castle owners AmaZing Venues Mike Clare said: "We want guests to feel that this is where their Scottish Highland adventure begins.
Restoration work has been carried out on many of the rooms and its artefacts to take them back to their original condition. Even some wallpapers have been reproduced by specialist company.
Ackergill Tower has acted as a great hideaway for celebrities such as Jack Nicholson, Michael Douglas and Billy Connolly in the past.
Ackergill Tower's general manager Craig Wright added: "The property has never looked so good and now as we enter springtime we encourage visitors both locally and from further afield to sample our hospitality and incredible grounds."
Ackergill Tower Web site - www.ackergilltower.com
History by Andrew Sprat
In the far north east of Scotland stands the much altered tower of Ackergill, close to the sea shore one mile west of the infamous Sinclair stronghold of Girnigoe castle. The earliest part of Ackergill dates back to the 1400's when an oblong tower house was raised by the Keith family. Anciently the lands of Ackergill were held by the Cheyne family who also held the lands of Inverugie to the south in Aberdeenshire.
Around 1350 Reginald Cheyne, the Clan head, died ending the male line leaving two daughters to inherit the Cheyne estates. One of his daughters Mary married John, second son of Edward Keith the Marischal. In 1354 John Keith took possession of Ackergill and Inverugie. His son likely built the tower of Ackergill in an effort to keep up with Sir William Keith the Marischal who raised a great L-plan keep on the cliffs of Dunnottar near Stonehaven.
In the 1500's a low barmkin courtyard wall was also raised around Ackergill to provided further protection not only for the tower but for the wooden barns, brewhouses, stables and stone dovecots which sprung up alongside such castles. Around the same time an oblong plan tower house with round corner turrets was also constructed on the Keith estate of Inverugie. In 1510 a document names Gilbert Mowat as captain of Ackergill on behalf of the Keiths. By 1538 the male line of the Ackergill/Inverugie Keiths failed and Ackergill was then granted by King James V of Scots (1513-1542) to William Keith Earl Marischal and Lady Keith his wife.
In 1547 the Sinclairs of nearby Girnigoe led by George Earl of Caithness attacked and seized Ackergill by surprise, taking Alexander Keith said captain and his servant John Skarlet hostage, detaining them at Girnigoe. Later Queen Mary the Regent (Mary Queen of Scots mother) granted remission to George for his actions. She also installed Lord Oliphant as a temporary keeper of Ackergill in 1549 perhaps to separate the feuding Keiths and Sinclairs. However the Earl of Caithness and the Sinclairs again besieged Ackergill in 1556 when it was in the hands of William Keith Earl Marischal. But once again he received remission for his actions which angered the Keiths.
In 1593 the Earl Marischal complained to the Privy Council that his brother Robert Keith had seized his castle of Ackergill by force of arms with the intention of molesting the surrounding estates. Hence Robert was declared a rebel. By 1598 Earl Marischal was back before the Council again to complain that "his place of Ackergill" had been attacked. This time by John Keith of Subster with a large army who climbed the barmkin wall with scaling ladders at night and entered the tower by surprise hurting his servants in the process. And that John now "keeps the place" against his express wishes.
In the early 1600's Ackergill passed to the Sinclairs Earls of Caithness by legal means, though they appear to have neglected the upkeep of the building and it became run down. In 1623 it was besieged by Sir Robert Gordon in his feud with the Earl of Caithness. But the castle surrendered without an actual assault or bombardment. It is claimed that Cromwell garrisoned Ackergill in 1651 around the same time as his siege of Dunnottar castle dragged on in his pursuit of the Scots crown jewels (now on display at Edinburgh castle) used to crown King Charles II of Scotland and England (1660-1685).
By the early 1700's Ackergill was held by the Dunbars of Hempriggs. It was likely they who built the modern lean to block house against the earlier tower. In 1726 a document describes Ackergill as being "a strong house, and yet in (need) of repair, and betwixt (between) that and the sea is a good new house lately built." In the 19th century the tower had new larger windows cut into it with new raised battlements/bartizans and an extended roof to the turnpike stairwell totally out of character with the original 1400's tower. Today Ackergill is run as a hotel.
See more about Ackergill Tower in our Castles Section