Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Great value Unlimited Broadband from an award winning provider  

Hayley's powerful essay hailed a winner by law firm

7th May 2013

Photograph of Hayley's powerful essay hailed a winner by law firm

BETTYHILL pupil Hayley Blackman has won a prestigious essay competition run by a firm of Caithness solicitors.

Open to all S4, S5 and S6 pupils in the county and North Sutherland, the competition, organised by Wick solicitors BBM, was aimed at encouraging local youngsters by fostering their writing skills.

The essay subject was based on a relevant subject of energy policy stemming from a view expressed by Thomas Edison, the American businessman and inventor, in 1931.
He stated: “I’d put my money on the sun and solar energy. What a source of power! I hope we won’t have to wait until oil and coal run out before we tackle that.”

Entrants were asked to discuss Edison's view and give an opinion on whether renewable sources hold the key to sustainable energy policy for the western world in the 21st century.

BBM partner Eric Baijal – the firm also has a practice in Edinburgh – presented Hayley with her prize of £200.

He said they were particularly impressed by "the clarity of expression and thought" in Hayley’s essay and added: “We are also encouraged to hear that she wants to go into the legal profession and will begin studying law in the autumn.”