Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Great value Unlimited Broadband from an award winning provider  

South School, Wick - March 2013 Newsletter

15th March 2013

Dear Parent,
Time again for a Newsletter as we approach Easter. This term has flown past and we have seen all seasons in a few weeks with glorious sunshine and even a good covering of snow. Let’s hope the weather is favourable for the holidays.

MARIE CURIE CANCER CARE DAY
We had a superb day in school on Friday 1st March when the children and staff got totally involved in raising money for this worthy charity. I’m sure most of you would have read the article in last week’s Caithness Courier, showing photographs of the children and noting the amazing amount of money raised. In total we collected £338.97 which included a very kind donation from a member of our community who handed in a tub of loose change. Well done to all!

CAITHNESS SCIENCE FESTIVAL 2013
Next week sees the annual Caithness Science Festival in all our schools. Children in P1 – 7 will be involved in a variety of workshops, some held in South School and others over in North School.
Tuesday
P1- 7 will meet Mr Bug and his creatures at South School.
P2 and P3 have a Magnets workshop during the morning at North School. They will return
for 12.30 so will have a later lunch.
Wednesday
P4 – 7 will learn about “Blood, Bile and Body” at North School. The bus leaves at 1.15pm so
all will have an early lunch at 12.30pm.
Friday
P1-3 will find out about “Future Earth” at North School.
Whole school Assembly from the Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society.

Buses have been ordered to transport the classes across town.

Well done to Alisha Larnach in P3 for being the Runner Up in the Science Festival competition, she designed a beautiful butterfly.

P7 RESIDENTIAL TRIP TO BADAGUISH
The children in P7 are going to the Outdoor Centre at Badaguish, near Aviemore on the last week of term. I will be accompanying the children as well as Mrs Macleod, one of our Pupil Support Assistants. This is a joint venture with Pulteneytown Academy School and I hope we will have a fun filled, action packed adventure.

CHILDSMILE
The Fluoride varnish will be applied to children’s teeth on Tuesday 16th April or Thursday 18th April. Nursery pupils will have theirs applied on Tuesday 23rd April. This is done by the Childsmile team.

OPEN AFTERNOON
Please keep the Wednesday afternoon of the 24th April free as we have our annual Open Afternoon. This is an opportunity for you to see your child in their classroom setting and to look at their work, the displays in the classroom as well as in the corridor.

NEW LUNCH MENU
A copy of the new lunch menu will be issued before the Easter holidays. There is a mistake on it which states that schools are closed on Monday 15th April – that is not the case. All schools open after the Easter holidays on Monday 15th. Lunches will go up in price after the holidays – daily charge of £1.87 or £9.35 for the full week.
Tuck shop prices: Juice 25p, milk 30p, water 30p, toast 15p and fruit 25p.

LATES/ABSENCES
It concerns me that quite a few children are regularly arriving late to school – it is vital that all children arrive in school on time. Your child needs to arrive in the playground for 9.05am in order for them to book their lunch at the kitchen or hand in their packed lunch box. This then gives them time to be ready for the bell at 9.10am. Children who are not in class at registration are issued with a late slip.
I realise that many children have been absent from school recently due to the many bugs that have been circulating. Please remember to contact the school before 9.30am if your child is going to be absent. This is absolutely vital to ensure the safety and well being of your child.

PARENT COUNCIL NEWS
The next meeting of South School Parent Council is on Thursday 9th May at 6.30pm here in the school. Everyone is very welcome to attend and your support is required and appreciated.

Please feel free to contact me, if you have any concerns regarding your child or queries from this Newsletter.

Kind regards,

Pat Bowers

PS - The school term finishes on Thursday 28th March 2013 at 3.10pm and the final term resumes on Monday 15th April at 9.10am.
Monday May 6th is the May Day holiday for pupils and staff.
The school year finishes on Friday 28th June and resumes on Tuesday 20th August 2013.