Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Great value Unlimited Broadband from an award winning provider  

Highland health and social care partners urge locals to get a grip of winter

19th December 2012

Photograph of Highland health and social care partners urge locals to get a grip of winter

The Highland Council and NHS Highland are urging people to get a grip of wintry weather conditions by considering purchasing snow and ice grippers to attach to their footwear to help prevent injury from slips and falls.

Highland Council has been giving assurance that salt supplies are sufficient, ready and being used to grit priority roads and footways within the resources available according to the Council’s gritting policy. The Council has also been promoting its policy and gritting maps for local areas online at www.highland.gov.uk/gritting.

Deputy Leader of The Highland Council, Councillor David Alston who is also a member of the NHS Highland Board said: “We urge people to be aware of the Council’s gritting policies in their local areas, and to check out the maps for their routes. As the Council is doing everything that it can within its available resources, I would invite people to think about their own personal safety by considering wearing stout footwear and purchasing grippers to help prevent slips and falls on snow and ice. These are commonly available in outdoor shops, other retail outlets and online.”

When required, footways are gritted Monday to Saturday between 6am - 6pm. On Sundays and Public Holidays, the cover is between 7am and 12noon. The policy prioritises main urban shopping centres 1st; main urban footways serving schools, hospitals and minor shopping areas 2nd; and other footways as resources permit 3rd.

Richard Bennie, Service Manager for Raigmore Hospital Emergency Department said: "Raigmore Hospital's Emergency Department experiences an increase in attendances during periods of adverse weather due to slips and falls, which can sometimes result in fractured bones. By dressing for the weather and taking extra care when you go out you will be able to minimise the risk of that happening.

“We would encourage people to monitor local weather reports and take the necessary safety precautions such as having a supply of salt at home and regularly apply to pathways and drives. We would also ask that you take extra care when walking in public highways and dress appropriately for the weather conditions, including wearing appropriate footwear.”

Wick Councillor Bill Fernie who has recently been doing much more walking to improve his fitness said, "It present of a pair of grippers and used them in the icy weather. I found it impossible to slip even if I tried. I would recommend them to all ages to prevent bad falls."

Check out foot grippers on Amazon.